The St. Roch Market, located at the intersection of St. Roch and St. Claude Avenues, had been a city market since it was built in 1875 and a go-to destination for fresh seafood and prepared food until Hurricane Katrina, when it was shuttered and fell into disrepair. Despite this neglect, in a post-Katrina study, architecture students declared the market “the most intact survivor of the public market system that once dominated food retailing in Louisiana and New Orleans.”
Seen by some as a flashpoint of gentrification, the St. Roch Market re-opened in 2015 after a renovation boosted by state and federal funding. It serves as a food hall, where 13 different vendors rent stalls and serve food, coffee and drinks. The building has a renovated exterior that preserved its historic features, including its signature exhaust fans and louvered windows.
On The Neighborhoods Map
Though the market has been criticized for serving higher-priced cuisine, some chefs have used the space as an incubator of sorts, leaving to launch their own brick-and-mortar restaurants. Of the Market's 195 employees, 95% hail from the 7th, 8th and 9th Wards